Firefighters freed a dog and cat trapped inside a burning home in northeast Santa Rosa on Tuesday afternoon.
The fire was reported about 1 p.m. in the 900 block of Benton Street.
When firefighters arrived, dark smoke filled the inside of the home, the Santa Rosa Fire Department said.
A fire captain kicked open a door and a dog scurried outside. Firefighters searched the house and discovered nobody was home. One firefighter scooped up a cat, “which was handed off in good condition to a neighbor,” the department said in a news release.
A woman who lived at the house came home and picked up her pets, officials said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control in 15 minutes. It caused about $75,000 in damage, officials said.
The fire started in the kitchen, according to an investigation.
Continue Reading on The Press Democrat